Thursday, August 5, 2010

necklace? or....

I am a list maker. I think of things to make, often late at night when I can't sleep, write down my idea, and then- MAYBE... just maybe... a few months later, its done. The real downfall to this unhelpful pattern is that I often do a project in pieces. This necklace for example: I was doing some hemming and decided to go ahead and sew the basic shape of the necklace while all my sewing items were out. I attached the hooks and then left it for about a week. Then, today- I wasn't even feeling creative. I just got this overwhelming urge to get it done. It annoyed me to see a half finished project just sitting there. So, after a long day of work, when I am not only worn out but also that sticky sort of hot, I sit down to do something that should take a bit of planning. I didn't plan. I just plugged in the hot glue gun and went for it. Yes, this is the result of my 'just get it done mentality'.




Do we love it or do we love it? I think I like this hemp wall hanging because the negative shapes are just as prominant as the positive shapes. The eye is not just drawn to the subject as a whole... but to the lines and the relationship between lines. I've been wanting to make a necklace for a while now and thought this might just it. What if I could translate this idea into a necklace?

1. Find neutral fabric. Cut into desired shape. Cut it larger than desired, remembering that it will be sown inside out and then folded back to right side.


2. Here came my first problem. So, the above photo that gave me the idea for the necklace is made out of hemp. The store that I went to was out of hemp and only had jute.
Properties of jute that vary from hemp: lighter color. thicker. Not as tightly woven.
These are all things that need to be taken into account and will affect the process. In my opinion, the lighter color makes it look more homemade. It's thicker so it takes up more room. It is a more losely woven chord so it needs to be fastened more tightly and permanently.

Below, I thought that the jute could be easily sown on. Being lazy, I used the dark thread I had near me. Problem: It shows. A lot.... and it leaves the jute looking loose on the fabric.

Question. Necklace or Bib?

3. The answer to the thread catastrophe? Hot Glue Gun. Use with caution. It is easy to use too much and have the glue ooze from below the hemp. Below is the finished product... Enjoy.


Am I satisfied? I don't think so. Actually... I'm positive. I can know that I am not satisfied when I can look at the origin of my idea and still like it better than my own. I look at the hemp wall hanging above and think- "If I saw this wall hanging right next to the necklace, which one would I want more?" Answer: the wall hanging. True, it doesn't have a function and won't embellish an outfit, but it also doesn't look like a child made it. It also doesn't look like it could be a bib... or at least a very affective one!

No comments:

Post a Comment