Sunday, October 24, 2010

Unexpected Moments

These brisk fall days are getting darker and colder as the streets of mid-coast Maine dwindle down from the many visitors to those who hold it all together. It's strange to be here through the many phases that Maine culture takes you in a year. This past week has been a whirlwind of emotions for me and I have felt my heart pulled in all different directions. This morning was the grand finale as I sat in church, pen in hand and realized that I wasn't even thinking about anything at all. It is easy to have your mind wander, but my mind just shut off and I couldn't even process what was going on. I feel like if someone had looked me in the eyes, they would have seen two fuzzy tv's instead of eyeballs. I couldn't verbalize what was happening to me and after a short conversation with a friend, I realized that I didn't even have to use words. it truly was written all over my face.

I spent my Sunday afternoon at Rock City coffee and books, sitting on their newly aquired black faux leather coach. I observed the many different kinds of people around me and especially liked watching two couples, probably in their mid to late 40's, enjoy a board game together. They laughed and laughed and it just made me happy to see people enjoy such community in our little town coffee house. I broke in a box of pastels and watercolors and just made all sorts of shapes and designs. Through it, I was thinking about the fact that I never paint or use pastels. Why today? Well, it wasn't about the outcome. It wasn't even about copious amounts of inspiration. It was that I couldn't think of words and I knew that I just needed to take part in a process of creating something. When I had finished one of the pictures, I looked down and went 'eh...' but the truth is, I realized that it calmed my mind. I wasn't overwhelmed and I wasn't overanalyzing my life. I was just sitting and doing... and it was pleasant.

After sitting for a while, I went into my favorite Rockland Gallery. I like it because the building has beautiful architecture and they always play good music. I also like the art.... but the atmosphere really helps it out a lot. I've decided to share different artists with you throughout future posts, so I will start today with someone I hadn't heard of before today.

Joyce Tenneson

I think this portrait of Joyce really shows the essence of her work. She looks strong but at peace. From looking at this photograph of Joyce and observing her pieces, the word 'meek' comes to mind. There is an obvious inner strength but the soft lines and colors show the subjects soft character. Ah, soft character... something so foreign to me and my cut throat American culture... yet so desirable.









I hope you enjoy her! Check out her section of the Dowling Walsh Gallery website. I don't love the flowers... but her portraits are quite compelling. The relationship between her floral pieces and her portraiture kind of remind me of Anne Geddes... no thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment